St Joseph’s School, Boulder, acknowledges that Aboriginal people are the original inhabitants of Australia and embraces the richness and diversity which exists within the Aboriginal nations. We are committed to maximising the learning opportunities for all students regarding Aboriginal people and culture. In addition, we place a focus on supporting our Aboriginal students and families to ensure learning opportunities are maximised.
Educational achievements of Aboriginal students at St Joseph’s School, Boulder are promoted by:
- Embedding Aboriginal perspective into the curriculum
- Providing opportunities for members of the school community to enhance their appreciation and knowledge of Aboriginal Australia and Aboriginal spirituality
- Ensuring we identify, name and acknowledge the traditional custodians of our land
- Including an Acknowledgement of Country or Welcome to Country at assemblies each week and other school functions
- Providing safe and supportive learning environments that enhance the self-esteem and cultural identity of Aboriginal students
- Providing all students with an understanding of and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander traditional and contemporary cultures
- Providing academic support for Aboriginal students, where needed
- Strengthening relationships with Aboriginal families and the wider community and looking for opportunities for reconciliation and acknowledgement
- Celebrating special occasions during the year, for example, Reconciliation Week, Sorry Day, Harmony Day, Indigenous Literacy Week and NAIDOC Week.
Our Aboriginal Teacher Assistant, Mrs Shondell Perkins, provides in-class support for our Aboriginal students, serves as a liaison between students and families and organises a range of cultural events and activities throughout the year. She can be contacted through the school office or by email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Our school offers a playgroup for Aboriginal families with children who have not yet commenced full-time school. Please see our Playgroups page for further information.